Most people only visit their dentists when pain and discomfort becomes unbearable. Unfortunately, it may be too late by this time. Instead of waiting for a tiny cavity to turn into a crater, visit your dentist at least twice a year or more frequently if you get a lot of cavities. Preventive dental care saves your teeth and keeps you from spending a lot of money on dental work later on.
Some signs that you should see a dentist ASAP:
1. Loose Gums. As tartar builds up, the gums begin to lose their tight grip on teeth. Irritation makes the gums separate from teeth, forming pockets that make ideal breeding grounds for bacteria.
2. A Change in Bite. Teeth are constantly changing. They wear out with use and can even move over time. When this happens, the bite changes. If not corrected, bite problems can lead to increased tooth wear, cracked teeth and soft tissue damage.
3. Loose Permanent Teeth. A child’s milk teeth may become loose before permanent teeth erupt, but permanent teeth should stay put; otherwise, it may signal tooth decay even if there is no pain or visible decay.
4. Bad Breath. A foul odor that doesn’t go away can be caused by cavities or leftover food particles in the mouth. Loose fillings can also make teeth trap food particles. Cavities need to be treated immediately to prevent damage to surrounding teeth and gums.
5. Sensitivity to temperature. If teeth are suddenly sensitive to hot and cold food and drinks, it may be due to an infection and may require antibiotics. It may also be due to overuse of teeth whitening products.