You may have heard about the wonders of dental implants for replacing missing teeth. But what about if you have many teeth that must be replaced — even an entire arch?
For a full arch of missing teeth, individual dental implants would be expensive and impractical. But you can still reap the benefits with denture implants, which combine implant technology with beautiful custom dentures.
For a consultation at Marineland Dental Care of Kennewick, WA, call 509-591-0515.
How Dental Implants Work
Conventional tooth restorations sit on top of the gums. They may restore your appearance and enable you to chew once again, but generally speaking, they are not nearly as strong as real teeth.
The introduction of the dental implant was truly groundbreaking. What sets this restoration apart is that it replaces the tooth root, not the crown. The titanium implant is surgically inserted into your jawbone. As the bone heals over the course of a few months, it fuses with the post for total stability. A connector post and crown (or other custom restoration) are then placed on top, giving you a gorgeous new tooth that feels and functions just like the real thing.
Implant, Meet Denture
If you have many teeth missing, we can attach a full or partial denture to just a few well-placed dental implants. Dr. Hadley recommends this method especially for lower-jaw dentures, which are the most likely to slip.
We offer two types of implant dentures, the difference being in how the denture is connected to the implant. Ball-retained use a ball-style connector, while bar-retained use a bar-style connector. The doctor will be happy to discuss the differences and which makes most sense for you. Dentures combined with implants hold a number of advantages over conventional dentures.
- They are completely stable in your mouth. You don’t have to worry about them sliding, slipping, or — even worse — falling out.
- You don’t have to deal with messy dental adhesives.
- The full strength of your bite will be restored. You don’t have to eliminate favorite foods from your diet, and you will be able to eat what you want with confidence.
- Dental implants are good for your jawbone health. They channel your bite force into the jawbone, which stimulates it and prevents the bone loss that often occurs with traditional restorations.
- You will be able to taste and smell your food better, as dentures secured with implants cover less of your palate.
- Dentures held in place with implants generally require less tweaking to get the right fit.
- You won’t have the speech problems that sometimes accompany conventional dentures. You won’t have to “relearn” how to speak correctly.
- Your new teeth will look, feel, and function just like the real thing. Your self-esteem will be restored along with your smile!
If you have many teeth missing, or currently have a conventional denture you are not satisfied with, schedule a consultation for implant dentures with Dr. Hadley of Marineland Dental Care. Will will be happy to discuss the procedure and help you determine if you are a good candidate. You may reach us online or call our office in Kennewick, WA at 509-591-0515.